- Google Maps’ new “COVID-19 layer” will allow consumers to see up-to-day coronavirus threat numbers.
- It exhibits a 7-day ordinary of the quantity of new conditions per 100,000 folks.
- Stats are dependent on The New York Times, Wikipedia, Johns Hopkins College, and the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation.
- This element, together with other people this kind of as “stay busyness” and transit alerts, will help make touring for the duration of the pandemic a tiny safer.
- The Centers for Disorder Control and Prevention warns that “vacation will increase your chance of having and spreading COVID-19.”
- Take a look at Insider’s homepage for extra stories.
As a Google Pixel cellphone proprietor who sings its praises from the rooftops, I am presently very aware of how Google items aid me, the two when I vacation and in my working day-to-day existence.
Having said that, Google Maps not long ago unveiled a new characteristic that can enable us all be a very little safer through this pandemic – primarily as the vacations technique and several will journey to see loved ones, even with the Centers for Illness Management and Prevention’s advice that people today remain residence.
As a travel reporter who has barely left her hometown in 9 months, and is scheduling to push 33 several hours to Colorado for the wintertime soon, this new feature, identified as the “COVID-19 layer,” helps make me feel a tiny little bit a lot more in handle.
The new “COVID-19 layer” permits people to see up-to-date coronavirus risk figures, as effectively as regardless of whether the selection of circumstances is heading up or down.
It displays a seven-working day regular of the number of new scenarios per 100,000 people today.
To get to this layer, open up Google Maps and click on on the levels icon on the leading suitable, which appears to be like two tiny squares on leading of every single other. Then simply click on “COVID-19 facts.”
You then most likely require to zoom out a minor little bit as the info is by county, point out, and place. The map is colour-coded, ranging from grey (much less than one scenario for each 100,000 men and women) to darkish purple (40+ circumstances per 100,000 people today).
Seeking at the map will help you see whether or not there are any outbreaks in your place – I come across this specifically beneficial given the expected article-Thanksgiving spike.
It can also support advise any outings you have prepared, as you can see if situations are growing at your place. Clicking on a spot will also take you to area coronavirus assets.
Google has also rolled out other valuable coronavirus-associated characteristics, which include “reside busyness” info for public transportation, eating places, and shops, as perfectly as giving any COVID-19 updates these may have or safeguards they have put in area, as very well as transit alerts and COVID-19 limitations for routes you appear up.
It is really worth noting that the Centers for Illness Handle and Prevention warns that “travel raises your opportunity of getting and spreading COVID-19.”
This is an feeling column. The thoughts expressed are all those of the writer(s).